Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Say it isn't so...

A shocking truth hit me in the face recently. It’s something I’ve felt coming on for a while now. It’s inevitable and I know I can’t stop it. It’s kinda the reason I started this blog. But never before has it been so glaringly obvious.


I’m getting old.

This weekend we had a “Youth Event” at our house where about 10 Jr. High and High schoolers from our church came over to watch the first Yankees/Red Sox game. My husband and his best friend got involved with the church youth a while back and are trying to inject some awesome into the program. So they set up the 10 foot projector screen, hooked up the cable, and we watched giant baseball in the backyard.

The set up.  That's me standing behind everyone.  Awkward.  Notice Charlie foraging for food...

A busted my butt getting our house clean. I made an emergency visit to Michael’s to buy some frames for the artwork that has been patiently waiting to be hung in the dining room. I picked out the most interesting and edgy wedding photos we had and placed them strategically around the house. And then I put both wedding albums on the coffee table in case any teenage girls wanted to oh and ah over our beautiful wedding. I proudly displayed our “cool stuff.”

And do you know what the “youth” did? Walked in the front door and then straight through out the back door to watch the game. They didn’t care about our house. The only thing they paid attention to was the toilet. At least I hope they did…. They didn’t walk around admiring our possessions and complementing me on my beautiful decorating abilities, tell me how eclectic and interesting we are, or gush about our awesome wedding photos. They hung out in the backyard the whole time eating endless amounts of hot dogs, throwing the Frisbee, leaving M&M wrappers everywhere, and trying to pet Charlie.



I mean, I watch more Disney and “teen” shows and movies than a person my age should. I feel pretty confident that I know what’s trending. I think I’m funny. I’m the youngest in our circle of married friends. But never ever did I expect the following answer when I asked one the “youth” boys if he was finished with his plate:

“Yes Ma’am”

Yes Ma’am?????????!!!!!?????? Did he really just say that????!!!!

It shocked me so much I had to retreat to kitchen. I finally realized that I’m on a whole ‘nother level from these kids. I’d been deluding myself that I was somehow there equal or at least on the same plane.

I’m not. I’m old. I mean, I knew it was coming. I gave up on Forever 21 clothes a few years ago. But never did I think I was in the “Ma’am” category…..

Next I’m going to become “Mrs. Sarah.”  **shudders**

I even did pig tails.  Really.
P.S. I'm not sure why I felt the need to put "youth" in quotations every time....

5 comments:

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

Isn't that so interesting? The way the kids didn't even notice anything about the house? I honestly don't ever remember noticing much about people's houses until I got to be college age and started wanting a place of my own. It's interesting how our perception changes so dramatically over time.

And you are not OLD! Just not a "youth" anymore. :)

Unknown said...

Remember the night we were working in the theatre, and I mentioned something about my past love life, and you said, and I quote, "Ewww!"? HA HA, Ma'am. ;-)

choose to be happy blog said...

oh my gosh we are blogmates!!!!!!! (blog + soulmates!)

the funny thing is i am following you. and saw your updated blog and a couple others by my fav's and said i need to read those. but hadn't gotten the chance. until now when i saw your comment and i just loooooooooooooooooooove US! what the hell YOUTH!

Unknown said...

cute! you are too funny. love the idea of the backyard screen event for youth. i would just eat that up. love this post :) <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

choose to be happy blog said...

so what this is my second comment........ so sue me. i just wanted to say your comments=some of my FAV to read ma'am. JUST KIDDING i would never call you just a HORRIBLE name.