Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Couple that Acts Together Stays Together

 Alright, I figure you've been patient enough.  It's time to unveil pictures for the musical we were just in.

First let me show you the poster for the play.  Designed by my one and only dearest husband
(yes he really is that talented!)


Now for a little back story.  Evangeline is the theatrical adaptation of Henry W. Longfellow's poem of the same name.  It follows the story of Evangeline and Gabriel.  Two lovers more star crossed than Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Jack and Rose 
(Titanic reference, anyone?)

The play was written by two Louisiana natives, Paul Taranto and Jamie Wax.  The play follows the couple throughout their lives, going from childhood, those awkward teen years, the Acadians' expulsion from Nova Scotia, there settlement in Louisiana, and then finally there death.

You may be asking yourself, 
"Sarah, did you and your husband play Evangeline and Gabriel?"

That would be no.  Remember this is a musical.  And we're not singers.

So who did we play? The hubs had three roles:

Character 1: The most intimidating British Soldier you ever did see.  Seriously could he BE any cuter?
P.S See those red roses in the background? Yep, there from me.  To him.  I win.


Jacob and his fellow soldiers.  I'm kinda bummed he didn't get one of those white wigs...

Character 2: The Trapper.  An ornery, gruff, humorous trapper.  Check out those boots...Notice how dark his neck is compared to his chest.  He believes that men don't have to wear sunscreen.


  
And Character 3: Philippe.  The kindly older priest.  Yes, he played a priest.  Yes, he grayed his hair and eyebrows.  Yes, I think it's kinda hot


  
This picture is completely unrelated but I just had to share because this little girl may be the cutest little girl I've ever met in.my.life.  Hands down.   I only want kids if they are as adorable as she is.

 Don't you just love that smirk on her face!?!??!


Oh wait, now it's my turn.  I played Praline.  Evangeline's best friend.  In the play you meet the child Praline, the teen Praline, and then me, the Adult Praline.  To use her own words:
"They call me Praline because I'm so sweet and rich"

Yes I played a sassy, feisty, opinionated brat who thinks she knows everything about men. 
Remember I was worried about singing my song?  It was entitled "If I Know Men" and was pretty hilarious.  I used my best Elizabeth Taylor Cat on a Hot Tin Roof voice and sashayed my big wide butt across that stage.  I loved every minute.

Yes as a matter of fact I am wearing a HUGE fuchsia gown.  Would you like to see more?

Yes, I'm also wearing a hoop skirt underneath.  It was pretty enjoyable standing off stage swaying my hips back and forth like that one scene in Runaway Bride.


 
 Oh yes, I was quite a sight to behold on that stage.  All of the other characters  wore simple dresses with aprons and bonnets and I bust out there in THIS.  Let me tell you, it took three people to get me in and out of this thing every night!


And every night when I came home and took down my hair I looked like an old-timey Country Singer.  And that hair was sprayed crispy.  Like a helmet crispy.

 

So there you have it.  My studly media husband is actually a damn fine actor.  This is the first time since we began dating that we've acted together.  

See this whole thing got started because a mutual friend asked us both to be in a scene she had to direct for her final Directing class my last year of college.  We had to get to know each other for the scene and we haven't stopped 4 years later. 

Pretty awesome.

If you'd like to look at actual pictures from our production:

If you'd like more information about the play

And if you'd like to hear some music from the show.
*please note this is the original cast recording, NOT our production

And then because I'm on the Board of Directors and its my duty to link you to death

2 comments:

choose to be happy blog said...

you look soo beautiful, naturally pretty too!!

Megan said...

Y'all are so cute!! I love that you got to wear a huge pink dress. That's fabulous!