Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oh Closet, My Closet

The clouds parted.

The Angels sang.

And rainbows shot across the sky.



All because....



I have a closet!!!!

After a solid 4 months without a closet to my name, ripped drywall, and every piece of clothing I own draped across my guest room bed.  I finally have a "Master Closet."   Jacob's side of the closet was still in good shape, but awkwardly laid out so we decided to replace his side as well.
Need to remember my epic closet fail?  Click here and acquaint yourself but to be brief it looked a lot like this:
This was basically my closet, crappy wire shelving units, too many clothes.  But Harry Potter and Narnia in their own bookcase.  And no bird.  I think birds are weird.


But thanks to the Lowe's in Pineville, my parents, husband and the Big Guy himself 
(I mean God, not Santa) I now have this:

 The extra large door to our new Master His and Hers Closet which opens to....


 His side



Her side

Complete with angled racks for shoes 
(yes I stole his shelving space for my shoes, but lets be honest, I needed it more.)

 
 Long hanging space for dresses.  And more shoe storage.



 Soft closing European style drawers (I may have made up the European part.)

 Extra tall shelving for boots and seasonal purses.  
And hat storage on top.  Who doesn't need hat storage?!?!?


A handy little not planned alcove that perfectly holds every different 
color of Yankees hats that Lids has to offer.


 And me.  Blissfully happy to have my clothes hanging once again.

It took most of a Sunday to install.  We assembled my unit first and the instructions were fairly easy to navigate.  We really only used Philips and flat head screw drivers, a stud finder, and a screw gun.  I think the most time consuming part was finding a stud in the closet to mount the shelving unit to and the poles.  My dad spent the most time sliding the little yellow stud 
finder across the walls and waiting for a beep.  
We did not want another closet catastrophe people.

  Once we had my side installed, building the second unit took no time at all.  
We lucked up on a ridiculously ridiculous sale at Lowe's and got  2 solid wood closet systems that would normally cost $500 for a total of $150.  Can I get a "Hallelujah!"


I added a little paisley rug for our feet to rest on while we peruse our clothing options.
I tried to add an ottoman, but our closet just wasn't big enough.

Next I want to get a swanky light fixture to replace the current one:

 Maybe a chandelier?  Or a drum shade pendant? I'm undecided.  I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen at Home Depot or Lowes


And I can't decide what to do on this blank wall:

Originally I wanted to build shoe racks up to the ceiling but I really need a full length mirror in there. We got this rinky dink stackable adjustable shoe rack from Target but it kinda sucks.  You can't put heels on it, they don't stand up.  So I've moved all my wedges and flats to this rack and am using a hangy up shoe thing (which I think was the reason the last closet fell.)  But its taking up valuable real estate in my long hanging clothes section.  
So I'm not quite sure what to do about that.  Any suggestions?



So there you have it, our new and improved closet!!!

No comments: