Wednesday, February 16, 2011

DIY - Memory Frame

Ok, its time for me to get all crafty on ya'

I saw this item at Hobby Lobby before Christmas and knew I needed to have it.  Being the frugal couple we are, I didn't buy it that day.  Meaning the hubby wouldn't let me by myself a present when we were out shopping for other people... So I visited and visited it and finally when it was time to buy there were only two left and they were both damaged.  My heart sank.  But then that little Martha Stewart light bulb went off and I decided I could make it!   So now I'll show you how you can make one too!!

You'll need these items:




  • A pretty frame  - try to find one where the glass isn't attached.  It will save considerable time.
  • A sheet of scrapbook canvas - can use linen or any other textured paper
  • A sheet of sticky backed foam
  • Clear crystals - got these from the jewelry making section
  • Small straight pins - find some with a skinny head
  • And super glue or hot glue - I recommend hot glue because I just ended up gluing my fingers together with the super glue...


    Step 1: First things first, remove the glass and back from the frame.  Discard the glass but keep the back.  Keep the little cardboard insert that usually comes with it though, you're going to need that to trace. 
    Step 2:  Using the cardboard insert, trace it out on the foam and canvas.  I doubled up my foam to make it more cushy so just be sure to measure out two rectangles appropriately. 
    Step 3:  Once you're done, cut out your rectangles.  Now you should have 2 pieces of foam and a piece of canvas all about the same size.  Now stick your foam to your canvas and put the other piece of foam behind - just make sure your canvas is in the front.
    Step 4:  Now place your cushy canvas in your frame!
    Step 5:  Now for the sucky part.  Using a tiny bit of hot glue on the head (non-poky part) attach the crystal.  Let it dry. 
    Step 6:  Now arrange your goodies and then gently pin them into place with your crystal pins.  Don't push too hard or you'll break the crystal off, like I did, several times.
    Voila!! A cushioned memory frame!!! Take that Martha

4 comments:

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

In your face Martha Stewart, lol. It looks great. I love black frames.

Write it in Lipstick

Megan said...

Wow...super crafty! I'm impressed!

Jenna Griffin | Gold & Bloom said...

wow, i love this! i am sooo going to try this soon. thanks, sarah!

Megan said...

love that!!