I’ve jumped on the band wagon. *Sigh* Not only will this blog include fantastic advice about Weddings but it will now be our “family blog.”
Not that we’re expanding or anything yet. *I’M NOT PREGNANT* Just wanted to clarify. I think this is the best place (because Facebook doesn’t let your ramble on and on) to update the world, i.e. the internet, about or lives.
WE’RE HOMEOWNERS!!!!!!!!
We took a big plunge and bought a house. I know it seems terrifying to place such permanent roots in Alexandria but its ok because we’ve made a deal involving no babies until we have a bigger house, preferably in another state. But back to the point: After years of throwing away money on rent, respectively and then together, we wanted a home. Our home. So it’s coming up on a year into our marriage and we’re well on to our way to becoming full fledged adults. We got a great deal on our house. It’s a Garden District home built sometime around 1920 (thanks to Megan and the Historical Preservation for that information!) It’s small but completely renovated. Two Bedrooms. One bathroom. (I know, I know. I swore up and down our house would have two bathrooms but I’ll talk more about that later…) A fenced in backyard. High ceilings. An attic. Hardwood floors. 16” Travertine tiles. Stainless steel appliances. And gorgeous Cherry kitchen cabinets with no handles. Did I mention we got a great deal? 4% interest rate, which every grownup we tell is mightily impressed by. Once we figured out how to use the central air and heat we knew it was perfect.
We closed and moved in on the 15th of October. Slowly but surely we are unpacking and settling in. And our puppy is acting like a real dog too. Thank God for a fenced in back yard! Charlie is loving his grass and is particularly entertaining as he leaps like a Gazelle through the wet grass. He hasn’t mastered fetch yet. Jacob and I end up throwing the tennis ball back and forth to each other and Charlie bounds between us.
We had a successful Halloween. Even though costume-less preteens knocked on our unlit porch door after we ran out of candy. No light on means no candy! We’ve almost got the furniture arranged in all the right rooms thanks to my father-in-law and Ty picking up couches and beds and moving them until I was happy. We’re almost unpacked. The DVDs are safely and neatly displayed. And our washer and dryer hold a crap load of clothes. Did I mention we have a dishwasher? Because we do. And it’s glorious. We also have a claw foot tub. Which is surreal because I’m so turning into my mom. Did I tell you about the walk-in closet in our bedroom? Because you could basically consider it the third bedroom. Or a tiny nursery. But we’re not going down that road yet…
The best part is that it’s ours. After a stressful (for me) House Hunters Alexandria experience, signing enough papers to fell a forest, a nasty break-up with Coldwell Banker, and a lot of trips back and forth with my Daddy’s trailer, we’re in. We own it. And according to the paperwork will continue to own it until 2040. 2040, really?!?!?!? Holy crap! That number seemed so improbable and far away when I was 5 years old listening to New Kids and MC Hammer and playing with my Barbies. Those hours I would sit and imagine getting married and starting a family; designing my dream home that contained no antiques and a huge canopied princess bed. Even though I’m not a successful ballerina married to Jonathan Taylor Thomas living in a Malibu Barbie dream home with blonde blue-eyed children, I’m pretty frigging happy. And lucky. And thankful. Very very thankful. So thankful that I’m not going to push for knobs on the kitchen cabinets because my husband spoils me rotten and I love him.
Pictures to come soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment